Sunday, July 10, 2011

Bioterrorism and Bio-violence Considered - Book Review

So, what keeps you up at night? Yes, a question I was recently asked as a founder of a Think Tank - and in considering this I can say that nothing keeps me from sound sleep, but there are things I am completely troubled by, for instance bio-terrorism of bio-violence (both interchangeable words in my opinion). But before one gets frightened out of their wits, or allows fear to take over their psyche, there is a very good book, which I'd like to recommend to you.

Indeed, this was one of the books I read over the weekend, and I must say I was quite impressed. So much so that I wanted to write up this quick little book review to tell you about it. The name of the book is;

"Bioviolence - Preventing Biological Terror and Crime" by Barry Kellman, Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, 2006, 362 pages, ISBN: 978-0-521-88325-2.

This is a great research reference book to have for anyone studying bioterrorism. I own it because our Think Tank often talks on this subject, luckily I picked it up inexpensively at a used book sale. I noted on the front page this book I own was once given to someone as a gift and inside the front cover it read: "To Paul, With all my best wishes. Peace, Barry Kellman." I thought to myself, how interesting that someone would sign a book "with all my best wishes, and peace" when it had to do with such a serious topic a bio-terrorism.

However, after reading the book, I understand why the author signed the book that way, as within these pages are excellent suggestions of how to stop bioviolence and terrorism in the future. Some of these suggestions I might add have also appeared in bio-defense protocols in industry, government, military, and with NGOs. In fact, the same advice was recently quoted in a GAO report I read.

I'd also like you to consider not only this book, but some of the books by Richard Preston - you can find him also on Amazon or at any major bookseller. I think you should read a couple of his books in conjunction with this one. In fact, while I have you hear, let me also recommend;

"Biological warfare, bioterrorism, biodefence and the biological and toxin weapons convention," by Edgar J. DaSilva. I believe you can find that paper online in a ".PDF format" on Google. Lastly, I recommend you also read; " The Great Influenza: The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague In History" by John Barry. Once you read all this, then you will realize why I worry about such things. Be well my friends, and realize there are some very smart folks looking out for you and your family when it comes to bioterrorism.

Lance Winslow is the Founder of the Online Think Tank, a diverse group of achievers, experts, innovators, entrepreneurs, thinkers, futurists, academics, dreamers, leaders, and general all around brilliant minds. Lance Winslow hopes you've enjoyed today's discussion and topic. http://www.worldthinktank.net/ - Have an important subject to discuss, contact Lance Winslow.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment